Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Blooks of Today: Hot Off the Press

My colleague asked me if I was going to write a post about new blooks so I'll show you a few now. Artists, manufacturers and everyday people are making as many blooks as ever. The most substantial change is in the area of art. So many artists are making book objects now and the blook is enjoying a revival. If one just cruised around online, it would be easy to find contemporary confections, home furnishings, fashion accessories, greeting cards, craft supplies, garden ornaments, computer accessories, home security items and more. There doesn't seem to be an end to it, that's what is so surprising. Here are only a few. I can't vouch for all of them, but did note when I have seen or used them:



Garden sculpture: At Terra Firma Landscape Architecture, sculptor Terrence Parker creates stone books in several sizes. Open the link for details.



Tableware: These are very elegant and amusing, don't you think? I found them sold wholesale, but managed to collaborate with a few friends from my library to buy a dozen platters, which work well for library parties. It would be nice to have a set. Perhaps blog readers could let me know if there is any interest. Wouldn't it be fun? 




Perfume: Don't forget about Karl Lagerfeld's perfume Paper Passion, because "the smell of a freshly printed book is the best smell in the world."





PROJECT ALERT. Book Cards: When you want to make your own book cards, Dr. S V of Bangalore, India posted a pattern for these cards. I make them quite often for library events. They are easier than they look and are always appreciated. Click here for instructions.




Lumio Book Light: The Lumio light was created for those who might be on the go, or just in need of mood lighting. Designed by Industrial Designer Max Gunawan, the light is disguised as a book. It bends into a multitude of forms and can be anchored with strong magnets to metal surfaces. The light lasts 8 hours and is rechargeable. Lumio is about 1″ thick and it is available in three wood finishes.



Many vendors sell home decorating objects that appear like antique books. Here is a trash can perfect for the home office or library. Here is the blurb form the webisite where I found it

Most office bins are horrible to look at. This one is different. It looks stunning, is beautifully made, and will instantly raise the tone of your office, lobby or boardroom. Yes, you can probably make do with a plastic bin, but how much more civilized to deposit even your scrap paper in this work of art!


Vintage Book Kindle Case - Dracula

A Kindle case: If you are looking for a new case, I noticed there was a sale  on this website in three bindings, including Sherlock Holmes and Alice in Wonderland. I haven't seen it in person, but here is the copy from the site: It will look as if you're reading an old hardcover copy of Bram Stoker's "Dracula." Tucked inside: your Kindle. Handmade in Hampshire, England using traditional bookbinding techniques and materials, each has a molded interior case that securely holds your e-reader. Lightweight, durable, splashproof, and satisfying. Specify Kindle 4, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, or Kindle Keyboard.


Stress blooks: You can even buy stress ball blooks. Bryan Draper, Preservation Librarian at The University of Maryland, recently sent me two, printed with the U of M logo in different color variants. They apparently have a big bowl of them in the library. I'm not sure they are sending the right message, but I get a kick out of them. You can order customized titles for your library. Here is one vendor I found online, but I haven't purchased from them. I'd look around, there must be more.

That's just a drop in the bucket of what's out there in blook-land and that doesn't include altered books, which I try to avoid (don't get me started). Please post comments with questions and additions to the new blook category. 

No comments:

Post a Comment